Friday, September 17, 2004

How real is the "Real World"??

I hope not too real. Sorry to disappoint you RW fans, but after seeing a few minutes of it on the station formerly known for videos, I think I literally yelled out loud.

To set the stage, a sex-crazed female (yes, they apparently exist in "The Real World") on the show, we'll call her Sarah, wants to hook up with a guy living in the house, we'll call him MJ. These names have been kept the same to protect their anonymity. However, there's a hangup. MJ has a girlfriend back home. Sarah's comment in response to hearing MJ has a girlfriend is, "She has unrealistic expectations of MJ. I mean, he's a guy." His girlfriend expects him to be faithful when he's not in town? *Gasp!* Well, Sarah tells the camera, she is going to show him that non-blondes are better! Not to worry, later in the episode, MJ breaks up with his girlfriend, only to hookup with someone other than Sarah, much to her chagrin!

Another house-member calls her boyfriend to break up with him, because, in case anything happens, she can't be accused of cheating on him. The conversation on the phone with the boyfriend makes the cut into the episode so the audience gets to hear him angry and surprised that he is being dumped for no reason other than she's "21 and young."

Is this how people "stop being polite and start being real" out in the real world? I must have been living in the "fake world" because I thought that commitments meant upholding something. Now this is education I can't learn in the classroom!

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, I agree. The "Real World" is a load of real crap.

I saw my 13 year old sister watching the show the other day and I thought, "Hmmmm. I wonder what kinds of thoughts she has watching a show like this? Hmmm. If this show says it's normal for guys and girls to live together in an apartment, and that it's okay to have sex whenever, and that it's okay to go out to bars and get wasted, does that mean my sister might one day think that all of this is normal too? Oh my! What if she's already starting to think that this is just normal life, how things are once you're out of high school?!" Similar thoughts kept flowing through my mind as each new shocking scene flashed on the screen. So now I feel I need to try and ask my sister about why she watches the show sometime, as well as what she thinks of it.

BTW, I also love how their "Rock the Vote", or whatever it's called, has a blatently liberal flavor to it. Of course, they won't openly say that on TV.

Personally, to put it bluntly, I hate MTV. I think it's a death trap for our youth culture. It's pure propaganda from sex maniacs/progressives. I could go on, but I'll stop.

4:44 PM  
Blogger steven said...

Don't get me started on that show.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Mac,

I totally agree and I also really wonder what young people who may or may not know any better think about the show. Is it real? Keep me posted. Also, Steve, I DO want to get you started on that show. Hence my original post! I'm interested in other people's thoughts!

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home