Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Hold the Pickle

As my quest to watch non-Vin Diesel movies continues (although, guilty as charged, I watched "XXX" again last week), I rented last year's documentary sensation "Supersize Me." My expectations going into watching this movie were: the guy would probably gain weight and his cholesterol would go up, I would probably be grossed out and never want to eat McDonald's again, and the movie would not be entertaining. And my track record was: right, right and wrong.

I was right on the first count but I didn't think I would be so right. Morgan Spurlock gained 25 pounds in 30 days of eating McDonald's. 25 pounds. That was like 20% of his body weight. His cholesterol also went up. WAY up. It went from 160 to 260 in the course of a month. So I was right. But I didn't expected him to suffer from depression, fatigue, headaches, liver disease, and sexual side-effects (which his girlfriend graphically attests to, she has to be on top now). On day 21, he woke up at 2am with chest pains. His three doctors pleaded for him to stop. But he didn't. During that month, he consumed 30 pounds of sugar. But that's not all. Rent it yourself to see the rest.

I was right that I was grossed out and would never want to eat McDonald's again. In fact, it makes me glad that today I had a sub sandwich for lunch and a nice chicken dinner (not a frozen one) tonight. I jogged this morning and had water to drink tonight. But I still felt like crap after watching this movie. I recognize that his diet was extreme, nobody eats Mickey D's 3 times a day, but about everyone eats fast food more than they should, including myself. But do we realize it? My guess is not.

Finally, I was wrong that it wouldn't be entertaining. There were many moments when I was surprised to find myself laughing, because Morgan surprisingly managed to keep his humor throughtout the diet despite his failing health. But it was also eye opening.

Walking away from this film, I really wish that more people could see it. Obesity really is becoming an epidemic in this country, and it is estimated that 1 in 3 kids in the US will develop diabetes in their lifetime because of unhealthy living. My eyes were opened to this epidemic, and it appears that McDonald's was too, because six weeks after this movie premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, McDonald's pulled the SuperSize option from their menus nationwide.

"These boys have got the touch, it's clean as a whistle and it don't cost much.
Wham, bam, you don't wait long; shake, fries, patty you're gone."

Hungry?

9 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Anyone who has seen this movie, I would love to hear your thoughts about it. Also, I'm interested to know what people think about anything else that I mentioned in this post. Please comment!

11:51 PM  
Blogger steven said...

During the course of watching this movie, I was in constant evaluation of my own eating habits. I kept feeling my stomach, and throughout the movie, I think it actually got fatter.

Afterwards I felt completely sick and ashamed. It's not that I ever eat at McDonald's, but I felt as if our country was utterly obsessed with fatty fast food. Look at Toledo. You've got two things you can do for fun in Toledo: go to strip clubs, and eat. There must be twenty steakhouses alone, all packed, covered in neon glow.

When I'm not eating, I'll watch Food Network. I never knew food could be so entertaining (particularly Iron Chef, one of my favorite shows.)

People don't have time for dinner anymore. I can't even remember the last time my family actually sat down for dinner that my mother actually cooked. Could it be that the conservative social dynamic of family is breaking down because Americans simply do not have the time to eat together?

We rely on fast food because we don't have time for food. It's a nuisance (like Kerry's war on terror). And the faster we get, the fatter we get, and that's why obesity is being considered as a disease more dangerous than smoking. Will the government tax McDonald's as strenuously as they do cigarettes? Will we begin to see fat-ban legislation?

One thing I do know. If a fat-ban is what we need to get Michael Moore out of the country, I'm all for it.

12:14 AM  
Blogger steven said...

One more thing, Brad.

Vin Diesel is fast food for the brain.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Steve, I totally agree with your comments. I felt the same way. I had eaten a good dinner, but I started feeling like crap. I actually had to push the dog away because I was feeling like I ate too much. But we are a society VERY fascinated with food. And why shouldn't we be? It's everywhere. I think the statistic was that kids are going to see 10,000 food advertisements (and we know its not for broccoli), whereas if they eat every meal a year with their parents who (presumably) provide a decent meal, they'll have 1,000 good food impressions. Like they said, good eating doesn't stand a chance.


PS- Vin is my guilty pleasure. Don't take that from me!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Crap! I just had McDonald's for lunch!!!

Honest guys, it's been a week since my last fast food meal! Please don't tear me to shreds! I only had $4 for food and that dollar menu is always so enticing!

[BTW, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd like to one day.]

9:45 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Chris,

I think you'll live if you just had it once this week. But just a warning for when you do see it, make sure it has been at least a week since you had McDonald's and at least a few hours since you had any food of any sort, lest you feel as though you ate too much! Just helpful hints learned the hard way! Bon apetit!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Failoz said...

Am I that stupid, but how do you consumer 30 lbs of sugar just from eating McDonalds?

Its seems to me that I could go on a "Subway Diet" a la Jared, but if I also consumed 30 lbs of sugarry drinks I too would have the same effects as in the movie.

Dont blame Mccy D's, blame non-diet pop.


On a side note; I managed to go from Thursday night till Sunday morning EATING practically nothing, but still managed to get my fill of calories.... so I guess soda's not the only drink thats high. But all that sugar? Can't be good.

10:44 PM  
Blogger steven said...

People mistakingly accept Poweraid as a good substitute for water. Actually, Poweraid has tons of sugar, and actually works against diets and healthy eating.

Incidentally, McDonald's now serve Poweraid.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Health insight? Where's Dariano at a time like this? I hope he catches this conversation.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home