Sunday, January 09, 2005

2004 Year in Review: Everything Else

As I sat here gathering my thoughts for YIR: Music, I made a disappointing revelation. I haven't gotten that much new stuff this year, so music will be lumped in with everything else. Anyhoo, here's a look at the highs and lows for the non-movie aspects of my life in '04.

BEST ALBUM:
U2- How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. After 14 records, these guys still have it. Oh, they indeed have it.

BEST DANCE ROCK ALBUM:
The Killers- Hot Fuss. This album is infectuous. Start laughing now, but I actually read about this band before I heard them, thought they sounded like my style, and ordered the CD before I ever heard a note. This was an impulse buy that worked out really well, as every song is great. Try telling that to the Rednex (Cotteneye Joe impulse buy, aka BIG MISTAKE).

BEST IF-I-CANT-HAVE-KYLIE-I'LL-TAKE-HER SONG:
Gwen Stefani- What You Waiting For? One of the memory tracks on my satellite radio, so I always switch over when it shows up on a channel. "Take a chance you stupid ho." Classic.

LAMEST SONG:
Lindsay Lohan- Rumors. Lindsay Lohan is hot, legal and has more money than I can imagine, and she dares to say, err, sing "I'm tired of rumors starting," and "why can't they let me live?" Sorry, but you're a celeb, honey. You're going to have to put up with your face on a tabloid to keep all those millions you don't deserve. Pity rating: ZERO.

BEST SONG:
Mark Knopfler- Boom, Like That. Man, I wish I could explain this. My official play count on iTunes is somewhere over 40, but I bet its really more than that, since sometimes I stop it early. This song just doesn't frickin get stale (pun intended), as its about the founder of McDonald's. You know you're getting old when a 50+ year-old guy who sings a 5 minute song about Ray Kroc is your pick of the year.

BEST-SONG-THAT-IS-CURRENTLY-PLAYING-AS-I-AM-TYPING-THIS:
Jamiroquai- Virtual Insanity. Well, its the only song playing right now. I love how I can use other people's playlists in my apartment complex. This "Insom" guy has all the good trash!

In other news:

BEST PURCHASE:
Lucy. She's cool.

BEST TV SHOW THAT I JUST STARTED WATCHING:
CSI. I used to skip it, but I actually gave it a chance and watched a few episodes, and now I've put all four of the seasons on DVD on my NetFlix queue. Don't miss it if you don't have to.

WORST SUMMER EXPERIENCE:
Renting Eurotrip. See YIR: Movies for more on this suck-fest.

BEST WEDDING THAT I WAS INVITED TO ONLY A WEEK BEFORE:
None. Brianna invited me 8 days before!

WORST AUTUMN EXPERIENCE:
Graduate school assignments. They beat you up and then kick you while you're down.

BEST CHANNEL I GOT THIS YEAR ON CABLE:
Fox Sports World. It's America's soccer channel!!

BEST BOOK I FINISHED:
Lion of Ireland. The story of the first Irish king to unify the clans around 1,000 AD. Great read.

BEST MOVIE PREMIERE:
Beautiful Day. C'mon, you know it was funny.

BEST NEW INTERNET SITE:
Facebook. It's fun and addicting and everyone's doing it! And along with that...

WORST NEW INTERNET SITE:
Facebook. It's fun and addicting! I don't need that now! I don't need a website to waste time on!! Ahh, irony, how bittersweet thou art!!


Well, sports fans, that's going to do it I think. A fun and memorable year it was indeed; here's to just as many more in 2005!


9 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

Lindsay Lohan also lip syncs. I have the video clip from Good Morning America. Whenever I feel pathetic, I watch it and feel better about myself.

BTW, do be careful about mono comments. It's a sensitive subject, apparently.

'Beautiful Day,' as pathetic as it is, has officially made it onto my resume of film accomplishments.

Look out for 'Shitty Day', coming next summer...

Hahahaha. Yeah fucking right.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Hmm, well, I certainly didn't know that offended anyone. My apologies. On a side note, I was thinking just the other day how it is weird that you and I don't have some grand project to be working on and we actually got one finished. It was good times indeed.

PS- What's the link to the lip sync-ers again?

7:01 AM  
Blogger steven said...

http://lipsync.us/

3:51 PM  
Blogger steven said...

I don't know what it is about U2, but all their songs sound exactly the same to me, and the subject matter seems to rarely fluctuate. But if they've been able to stay popular for that amount of time, I guess that counts for something. I guess I'm just naive to their "greatest band in the world" status. Then again, I've always been a little bit in the fringe anyway.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

You know you've got it made when all you do is put out your first album in 3 years and Rolling Stone proclaims you "Band of the Year." Bobby D might also be enjoying this same 'honor.'

8:28 AM  
Blogger steven said...

Peter Travers is really good at making "quotes" like "Funny as Hell" or "Scary as Hell." Those things sell movies, for sure, as they plaster his quotes all over everything. He's not a bad critic, though. Other than that, Rolling Stone sucks.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Yeah, Peter Travers is VERY picky. He hates just about everything that comes out, especially the Hollywood blockbusters! But he does usually like similar stuff to what I like, such as LOTR and Team America (those are some that I remember him loving), but its really fun to read all his shitty reviews like it was for Ebert before he stopped hating things.

10:51 AM  
Blogger steven said...

Garfield...3 stars...unbelievable.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

why, he's no better than I am!!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home