Monday, November 15, 2004

Carpe Opportunity

The French film "Amelie" deals with opportunities, sometimes missed opportunities. I watched it about a week or 10 days ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's funny, maybe also a little ironic, that I feel as though I had recently written a posting on here about my quest to make sure I don't miss out on too much or get too involved in school. Then came "Amelie", followed by an opportunity.

I have to admit that I wavered back and forth about going to Brianna Baker's wedding. I never got a written invitation, so obviously she didn't want me there. But she DID call a week before the magical day and told me she hoped I could be there. But I was scheduled to work on Friday and Sunday, and it just wouldn't be convenient.

But, as you know, I got in the car after work and returned to the burg. In hindsight, I'm glad that this is an opportunity that I didn't miss. Not only did I get to see one of my friends from high school tie the knot, but got to spend some time with others as well. And as religious as Brianna now is, I doubt that she will have another wedding, so this was my one chance to be at hers.

Friends, every opportunity has a cost and I'm glad that I had the chance to sit down and weigh the costs, because I think I made the right decision. But I'm also glad that others did the same thing. Failor gave up a seat at the Notre Dame-Tennessee game and McAnall risked injury or death tying his necktie in the car and driving with his knees. But it probably meant a lot for Brianna to see the friends she invited (and the one she didn't) at her wedding.

And if there's anything else that I can take from that weekend, its that I want every camera on the reception table to tell a story. Preferably one with a suitcase full of towels...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home