Saturday, February 26, 2005

cold Soup

Alright, friends, you guys have all got me goin' on this whole music issue, so I've been thinking about it lately. But then, an epiphany struck me yesterday afternoon in the form of Pam Thrash and the B-97 afternoon show. Perhaps some of you are familiar with this.

First of all, let me clarify that I was using a University van to run an errand, as I would never listen to this 92.5 FM of a station in my own car, because all they play is crap. But a song comes on the radio that actually makes my jaw drop. Literally. We wonder why people shouldn't be looking to music as a form of expression of their own thoughts and emotions. Well, sports fans, the proof is in the Soup. Bowling for Soup. Slurp down some of these classics:

"I almost got drunk at school at 14
Where I almost made out with the homecoming queen
Who almost went on to be Miss Texas
But lost to a slut with much bigger breastes."

or this nugget:

"I almost held up a grocery store
Where I almost did 5 years and then 7 more."

Can this band be serious? The lyrics actually spell 'breasts' with an extra 'es' so that it rhymes with Texas!! Ahhh!!! So my jaw dropped hearing this garbage, but then I get to those second lyrics from verse two. Why couldn't he have just said 12 YEARS!!! So he could rhyme store with more. Well, thank God it was to keep up the rhythmic integrity of the song!

So, I think, maybe I'm just not giving these guys enough credit. Every band has that bad song that makes you wonder why they wrote it, right? OK, no, most don't, but for the sake of this post, humor me. So, thinking this, I go back and look at their first hit, "1985".

Again, this song has no benefit to society and really doesn't do anything other than try and make a couple of popular 80's bands rhyme together. But wait, what popular 80's band rhymes with Blondie? Shoot, the songwriter thinks, I'll just inject some witty social commentary into the chorus instead. "There was U2 and Blondie," hmmmmm, ah, I got it! "And music still on MTV!"

Zing! Take that MTV! Bowling for Soup says you guys used to play videos in the 80's!

Does anyone want to bet me that "1985" went to number 1 on TRL?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Some lyrics I recently heard that struck me as incredibly sweet, straight from "My Girl"...

"I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside I've got the month of May."

And then I especially like these lines:

"I've got so much honey the bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees."

I hope I can be that smooth when I meet the lady of my dreams.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

true that Chris, but I also am willing to bet that whoever sang that (was it the Temptations?) had a lot of professional songwriting help.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My memory may fail me, but I think the songwriting team of Holland- Dozier - Holland wrote most of the motown sound in the 60's.

-mike

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home