Sunday, April 03, 2005

Transition Complete

Well, it's now official. I'm sure people out there have been whispering for awhile now, but I'm finally coming out and living up to it today. That's all because, on this day, April 3, 2005, I completed my transition into total dork.

It all began when I picked up a series of books with dragons and mages on the cover, a series called "Dragonlance," (sorry Failor, a lot of this is going to apply to you too). It wasn't long until I was a regular in all of the Perrysburg "Magic: The Gathering" game circles, even going to the annual "Magic card" convention in downtown Toledo twice (and I even had to pay an admission fee!). It wasn't long before I was also becoming immersed into the realm of Dungeons and Dragons, either, a realm that I still occasionally visit today. Then, late in high school, Star Wars kicked in. I was at Episode I on opening night. Yeah, I got two of those tickets that went on sale a week early, stood in line for two hours in front of the theater to get good seats and cheered when that trumpet fanfare began blaring. In college, I had Lord of the Rings to obsess over. But all of those things only lead to the inevitable...

Today, I bought my first "graphic novels," or comic books to everyone else. In fairness, they're all collections of several actual comic books and bound together in paperbacks around 150 pages. My selections, for those curious (of which there are likely none of you), were Y: The Last Man: Unmanned, Iron Empires: Faith Conquers and Ex Machina: The First Hundred Days. I've been thinking about picking up one or two a lot lately, since the outpouring of comic books that are made into movie form, ala Sin City, A Scanner Darkly and Appleseed. I also just thought it was time that I expanded my horizons a bit, all I've ever read is books that didn't have pictures in them. Well, it was time to embrace my dorkiness and dig in! (and, being a tightwad dork, I indulged in Borders' 'Buy two graphic novels, get one free' deal).

So the jury is still out on whether or not these will be any good or if this is just a phase I'm going through, but I'm pretty excited for the time being about the possibilities of devouring a story in a different way, (if anyone is interested in the plot of any of them, let me know).

Now my transition is complete, and I don't own an iPod to prove it...

3 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

The Sin City books are good...probably some of the best I've read. If you watch the movie, you'll find it exactly like them.

Frank Miller also worked on the Batman (aka Dark Knight) which you might find interesting.

7:31 PM  
Blogger steven said...

oh yea... you are a big nerd.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

that's dork to you, boy-o!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home