Sunday, September 25, 2005

E I E I O...

It's up the football league we go!!!!!

That was sung numerous times after yesterday's win up in Yorkshire against Rotherham United. It was my second away trip with the Blues, and it was another memorable one. The ground was actually pretty much located in a scrap metal railyard, and hence it was a pretty lousy place to watch a match. You also had to feel for the teams playing, as the actual playing surface had a slope to it, one goal being six feet higher than the other one, so one team had to play uphill each half! To complicate matters, somehow my name didn't make it onto the comp ticket list, so after a four-and-a-half hour bus trip, I got up there to find out I didn't have a ticket! Then when I went to buy one, they didn't accept credit cards! Thankfully I had $18 and they only cost $17 but that meant I had to bum change to be able to buy a matchday programme (I'm collecting them). The team won though and it was great to see them take their fifth win in a row, moving them up to second in the league! Let's hope the form continues.

Other than the away trip yesterday, things have been pretty quiet around here. I have just been working the past two weeks and that is going fine. I get along well with everyone in the department, and Brian Dear, the guy who took me to the West Ham match, invited me over to his house for dinner last week. That was very nice as my dinner is usually hit or miss, but this was a nice home-cooked meal with plenty of vegetables, and lots of broccoli! I can't remember if mentioned in a previous post, but the guy I normally work with, Ross, is going to be leaving the club on October 29 to take a position at Arsenal, which will likely mean more responsibility for me. Nothing I can't handle though I'm sure!

On the home front, I've been starting to put together ideas for my sightseeing when Michelle arrives on December 20. We will of course see Southend play MK Dons on December 26, Ross has offered to provide us tickets to see Arsenal play Portsmouth on December 28 at Highbury, and I'm looking into getting tickets to see Rangers play Dundee United at the Ibrox on New Year's Eve. They say that Scotland is the place to be on New Year's so here's hoping I get to find out! We also have a long list of other things that we'd like to see as well (Cambridge, Abbey Road, British Museum, etc.), so I hope I get those all in.

Now here's a photo diary of the trip to Rotherham...


A view from my seat in the Railway End.


Wayne Gray scores a penalty kick to make it 4-2.


This was right outside the ground, literally outside the gate.


Nice neighbourhood, eh? I didn't see any 'patrols'.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

Blogger JZ said...

keep posting and I'll keep reading, it's nice to hear your stories and how you are doing.

so have you figured out when you are going to return home. a trip still isn't out of the picture, maybe a bit unlikely but I could give it a shot. Let me know.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

yeah, I'll be returning home on January 3. So keep me posted!

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home