Monday, July 11, 2005

'Sup.

Again, not too much new or exciting going on here, but I figured it'd been awhile.

In media-related news, you'll see that I have posted a review of "Appleseed" over on the Movie Blog. Also, Michelle and I are re-visiting the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in its expanded form as we find time, thanks to Mac and his gracious lending. We've seen "Fellowship" and about half of the first disc of special features, so plenty to explore there yet.

I plowed through Both Feet on the Ground: An Autobiography by David Beckham over the weekend. Pretty amazing that someone only 29 is already publishing his autobiography? Anyways, obviously I was interested in some of the things he had been involved in during his time with Manchester United before moving to Real Madrid in the summer of 2003, which is when this book was written. I found it particularly fascinating that he went into great detail about his spat with the manager that ultimately led to his change of clubs, since Alex Ferguson (the manager) wouldn't go into it himself. It was also interesting to hear about how he got to dating and marrying Posh Spice (why, they took a trip to Southend of course!). I found the book interesting but you probably wouldn't unless you're into soccer or celebrities.

On the Southend note, my Blue Card and my Passport have finally arrived in the mail, so I am all clear and legal to enter the country come August. I also found out that Southend will be playing a huge match at home against a bigger team the day after my mom and I arrive. Not to worry, as we will be admitted as special guests of the Chairman and provided seats to the undoubtably packed house! My Space Bags also arrived in the mail this week, so hopefully I can fit all of my non-hanging clothes into a few vacuum bags and fit them into a large suitcase.

In other news, school continues to trudge along. This week in computers were are beginning the first stages of developing a website using only HTML. This is actually a new experience for me, so the going is a bit slow, but I will include the link to my page anyways. Feel free to make fun of it, I know it sucks worse than the first site I ever made. But we had to make it as if we were adding a bio page to our employer's existing website, hence the Southend theme.

Finally, in dog news, my parents are continuing to try and house-train their new puppy, with mixed results. She seems to be doing alright during the day, but goes in the house in the evening and overnight. Quite strange. She goes for her first full check-up tomorrow morning. And then Lucy. Well, Michelle found out the hard way that dogs are meat-eaters as Lucy attacked and destroyed a live baby rabbit this afternoon while I was away at class. That's right boys and girls, she said bottom's up and, after several vicious chomps, sent the entire baby bunny down the hatch. Frankly, both of us are still a little concerned about her health after something like that, but farm dogs eat mice and other small animals all the time, right? So far, about 5 hours later, she seems to be fine, and even had enough room left over to eat her dog food.

Well, on that note, I think I'm going to have some fudge now. It's more of the peanut butter chocolate kind that those of us that went to Put-in-Bay know all about...

4 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Brad, I'd like to know what Beckham's greatest soccer moments are. I'd like to think I know a lot about sports, yet I couldn't tell you what Beckham's greatest achievements are. I guess it'd be great to know why Beckham gets all the pub he does, besides his looks and being with Posh Spice.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Marty,

I think most notably in recent years was the 2002 World Cup in Korea/Japan. Beckham was the England team captain and scored a penalty kick over Argentina to put them through to the quarters or semis, I forget which, where they lost to Brazil. It was big for him though because he had been red carded against the same Argentina national team in the 98 World Cup, and England, with only 10 men, lost. Many people there blamed him for the loss.

Otherwise, he's just an extremely talented right midfielder, with an uncanny ability to lift the ball over the wall and past the goalkeeper from a free kick, hence the "Bend it Like Beckham." He played for Manchester United for 10 years at the pro level before joining Real Madrid in 2003.

12:15 AM  
Blogger steven said...

I saw pictures of his wife naked. With him.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

yeah, she's hot...

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home