Friday, October 07, 2005

Preparing for battle...

I'll have a new UK update forthcoming (probably on Sunday), but just wanted to update about a pretty enjoyable game I've discovered recently.

It's called World War II online, and it pretty much is exactly as it says. It's a Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) in the same genre as Star Wars Galaxies or EverQuest, where you meet up with thousands of other geeks online to play a computer game.

Once entering this world, you select a side (I chose Allies/British; there is no American), a division (2nd Infantry), a brigade (5th Brigade), and then a unit type (I chose rifleman, but you can select from about 7 different unit types, as well as air force, tanks or navy). Then you just start.

Last night I was placed shortly behind the front line, of which I fought over a town called Halle in Belgium. It's basically just Axis versus Allies, and you can track the progress of the front line on the website, which updates the lines every five minutes. The site is www.wwiionline.com.

As far as the game goes, the graphics are painfully lacking but the sound is just fantastic. The attention to detail is also incredible I'm told, with real-time loading (a machine gun or tank takes the actual amount of time that it took in real life, for example) of weapons. There's also a good community feel to it as you are pretty much required to rely on others to accomplish the capture of a bunker or depot. All this makes for a great experience and certainly overcomes the lack of graphical quality.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I might be joining the Allies within the next couple of days, my friend!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Never mind...I just realized it cost money. Sorry Bradley!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

haha, darn! The allies need all the help we can get! Over the last 48 hours we have pretty much been constantly falling back, as the map shows. Hopefully though we can halt em, but I have to admit, we need help soon...

5:08 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

come on now Chris, $19.99 for the game and 30 days of playing? That's a deal!

PS- I am thinking about re-installing Galaxies at some point, interested?

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home