Sunday, May 18, 2008

Brad's All-Time Fave Films: #3


Star Wars Episodes IV - VI (1977-1983)

I know some will probably accuse me of cheating since this is actually three movies, but I'm taking it as one story arc that is spread over three movies. With each movie taken individually, they'd all be great, and I think they are, but none of them would probably warrant a place this high on my list. I named this list "Fave FILMS" instead of "Fave MOVIES" on purpose because the original "Star Wars" as a whole would be up this high.

As far as the trilogy itself, what can I say? I though about doing some cliche spinoff of the 'long time ago' phrase to discuss my experiences, but figured I'd avoid that easy trap. Most of you that know me know that I'm a big "Star Wars" fan, and have been for some time. When I was thinking about what I wanted to say about "Star Wars," the first thought that sprung to me was that I remember exactly where I was when I first saw it. There are very few other movies that I can say that about.

I don't think I really need to go into much detail at this point about the merits of "Star Wars" since everyone has seen it, and odds are, they probably at least enjoyed it on a surface level of being an entertaining story. I know that the acting needed a lot of work, and some of the 'special effects' seem kitschy by today's standards, but who among us wouldn't stop at least for just a few minutes if you saw it on?

Needless to say, episodes 1-3 didn't make the list.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you have to include 1-3 because those fall under the same arc?
d

7:56 AM  
Blogger steven said...

okay, light sabers count as weapons, and i'm pretty sure the original poster had han solo with one. so the man/weapon streak is still active.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

D, 1-3 is a different story arc, although the stories are connected.

Steve, you're reaching bro.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Brad, great choice. I think you're justified in leaving out 1-3. To answer Mike's question, I think they're all part of the same saga, but as Lucas originally envisioned it, there are 3 story arcs within that saga, each composed of 3 episodes a piece for 9 total. We've seen the first 2 arcs made into film, but the final arc (coming after Return of the Jedi) will likely never see the light of day on the big screen, that is, until George changes his mind again.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I agree Mac. Although it would be great to see the story involved in the last trilogy, but I'm a bit disillusioned after 1-3 came out.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Failoz said...

Can't wait to see War of the Buttons in the top 2

5:38 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

that was a totally underrated movie failor. Alas, it did not make my top 50, but would be in the top 75.

9:43 AM  
Blogger steven said...

image google: "star wars original poster".

i win.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brad!!! I've been on a big Black Sabbath tear for the past few months and came across this cover of Iron Man by the Cardigans. I had to share it with somebody, and since you introduced me to the Cardigans (remember?) you are my lucky recipient. Even if it doesn't sound a whole lot like the original, there's something about this clip that is so very... foxy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7QRXMzdsqwQ&feature=related


Also, Prestige = 3 stars?! That's one of my all-time favs. Anyway, hope life is treating you well my friend.

-h

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home