Sunday, August 26, 2007

My All-Time Favorite Films: #30-21

#30: Spirited Away (2002)
Seeing Spirited Away was my first experience with the work of Hayao Miyazaki and boy, did I have no idea what I was missing. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is a bit more grown up than I was expecting and the journey way more fantastic.

#29: Pirates: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
I recall being skeptical to see this movie when it arrived in theaters four years ago, but ended up heading back at least twice to see it again. I was caught off-guard by Johnny Depp's amazing performance and the surprising humor in the script. Oh yeah, and Keira Knightley is hot.

#28: Rear Window (1954)
It's hard not to enjoy Alfred Hitchcock movies, or finding yourself bored at the end. One of the things that I love about this movie is that it takes place entirely (except for one shot) in the apartment of Jimmy Stewart's character. If you're not nervous at the end, check your pulse.

#27: Seven (1995)
What is so intriguing about Seven is that I, like most kids raised in a Christian home, was familiar with the seven deadly sins, and thus with a major part of the plot. The genius of the movie was knowing what was coming but not HOW it was coming.

#26: A Mighty Wind (2003)
The second Christopher Guest film to make my top 50 list, I just couldn't leave this off. Everytime The Folksmen are on screen, they say something that just makes me howl. And the music, while funny, is actually quite good (had to buy the soundtrack!)

#25: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
This movie is downright hilarious from start to finsh, and I think it will stand the test of time, like "A Christmas Story," because everyone has had similar experiences over the holidays. "He worked hard, grandpa." "So do washing machines."

#24: The Bourne Identity (2002)
Now I haven't read Ludlum's "Bourne" books, so maybe that gives an advantage by not having the books to compare the movies to. I loved the constant adrenaline rush of this movie, the kickin' martial arts, the car chase, as well as the whole 'espionage' undertone.

#23: Appleseed (2004)
Appleseed is in here for one reason and one reason only: I am a huge sucker for CGI. The film is actually a fusion of computer-generated images and cell animation, and the result is what I think to be a landmark in filmmaking. The potential for more movies like this is salivating.

#22: Best in Show (2000)
This movie was actually my first Christopher Guest experience, and it set a bar that has not been dropped in any of the other films. Being a dog owner, I can definitely relate to some of the elements in the movie, and can definitely laugh at all of the others.

#21: Amelie (2001)
As I said about Big Fish, I love movies with an unbridled imagination and I certainly felt this movie had that in spades. After seeing this movie, I probably felt geniunely happier than I had after any other movie that I have ever seen, and it's rare that a movie affects me so positively.

3 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

one star for return of the living dead? have you no soul??

8:26 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

name one reason why it is any better than "Cheerleader Camp" or "Cemetery Man".

"BRAIIIIIINSSSSS"

10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, pirates is so low

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home