Sunday, May 04, 2008

Brad's All-Time Fave Films: #4


Braveheart (1995)

Surely anyone that knows me would know that this would be somewhere near the top of the list. I mean, after all, I have a replica sword from the film mounted to my dining room wall! By now, my list should make it pretty clear that I like historical epics, so further reason for Braveheart's inclusion.

I'm not going to sit here and praise the acting or the character development (only partially because I don't feel it's worth noting), I won't even argue that there are inaccuracies and anachronisms, because I think what this film has going for it is its storytelling. Indeed, if you're interested in Anglo history, odds are you enjoyed the film too.

The other thing that I really enjoyed about this movie is the widespread effect that it had over in Scotland. The film spawned a tidal wave of nationalist sentiment and membership and interest in Scottish history skyrocketed following the release. It brought Scottish history to the rest of the world, as well. How many of us had heard of William Wallace before the movie? I bet you have now.

4 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

Just an observation: 50% of your top picks so far feature a man with a dangerous weapon on the cover.

We could get psychoanalytical here...but...

7:23 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

I think I can safely say that none of the remaining top 3 do, but hey, I like weapons

10:08 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can't believe we've finally arrived at the top 3 picks. Very exciting!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I'm going to try and post #3 this weekend, but depending on how the Timbers travel goes, I'm not promising.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home