Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Brad's All-Time Fave Films: #8


American Beauty (1999)

It's been five or six years at least since I first saw this movie, but I recall it having a large effect on me. Perhaps it was it's realism that got me; I haven't been through a mid-life crisis (nor do I ever want to), but the film paints a very realistic scenario of it. After all, most people dream to own that nice house, have the great job with the successful spouse and live happily ever after. But, as the movie depicts, it doesn't often end up that way.

To say nothing of the performances of the cast would be to do the film a disservice. Kevin Spacey, in particular, shines as the troubled Lester Burnham, a man who has gotten to the end of his rope and realizes that the only way out is to let go. Annette Benning and Thora Birch are great as his wife and daughter, respectively, but it's up to Spacey to carry the movie and he certainly does.

Ultimately, we are reminded of what things are truly important in life and what aren't. We learn that there is beauty everywhere in this world (even in a plastic bag), and that we could go our whole lives and never notice it if we never stop to look around.

5 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

this is definitely in my top ten as well

9:15 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

I think when I saw it for the first time (at your house), it was your #1. I would really enjoy seeing your list.

12:26 PM  
Blogger steven said...

lists are hard. i change my mind constantly. but i think i could do a "here and now" list...

10:01 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

still, I would be interested in that list. Isn't that what any list is anyway?

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would also be in my top ten list...top ten most overrated movies of all time.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home