Sunday, August 19, 2007

My All-Time Favorite Films: #40-31

#40: Mission: Impossible (1995)
I've probably seen Mission: Impossible eight or ten times now, and I think it's only now that I'm beginning to figure out what happened! It's an intriguing movie that I always enjoy watching, no matter how often I've seen it, because I'm always picking up something I hadn't seen before.

#39: Black Hawk Down (2001)
I will freely admit that I knew nothing about the Somalian conflict, and that I still don't, but for some reason I was hesitant to watch this movie. It is extremely well made, and after I finish watching it, I almost feel like I need to wash the blood, sweat and dust off.

#38: Office Space (1999)
I don't think I really even need a reason to put this one on here. It simply is one of the funniest movies of all time (I think most people would agree), and one of the biggest and greatest movies to show someone giving the boss the F-U the way everyone has wanted to at some point.

#37: Quiz Show (1994)
I think everyone has wondered whether or not game shows are rigged. Quiz Show shows us why, when Charles Van Doren, one of the nation's up-and-comers, shocked America by cheating on the show 21. Even knowing the outcome, I still find myself saying, "he won't do it."

#36: This is Spinal Tap (1986)
Possibly the most shining example of "women want him, men want to be him," for high schoolers, anyway. Every kid caught in school wishes he or she was able to pull Ferris Bueller's day off, and be loved for it. Not necessarily funny, but fun.

#35: Dances with Wolves (1990)
This movie paints a very real portrait of the West, as the white man and the Indians invariably came to conflict. Fighting a faceless enemy is easy, as John Dunbar shows us, but knowing the enemy may reveal them to be not the enemy they were perceived to be.

#34: Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
This classic line sums it up: "I could sit in meetings for hours on end with a smile on my face and when people ask, 'how do you do it?' I would say, 'because I've been with Del Griffith,' and they would say, 'I know what you mean.'" Need I say more?

#33: Ghostbusters (1984)
This may have been my favorite movie when I was a kid. I had all of the toys, I watched the cartoon, and I memorized all of the lines in the movie. I lived and breathed Ghostbusters, and even seeing it today still makes me happy.

#32: Millions (2005)
Wow, what a great movie. Two brothers playing outside stumble on a bag of British pounds, about to become worthless as England switches to the Euro. But one boy wants to spend it on himself and the other wants to help others. A heartwarming movie I highly recommend.

#31: Big Fish (2003)
I'm not normally a huge fan of Tim Burton movies, but I absolutely loved the imagination and true sense of wonder about this movie. We've all heard embellished stories, but the sense of storytelling in this movie is unparalled; that's all the movie really is, and it's great because of that.

More to come soon...

4 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

quiz show is so underrated. i'm glad to see it here.

again, decent picks. this is spinal tap; office space; pt&a all easy shoe-ins, comedy wise...

6:25 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

yeah, I had seen bits and pieces of it before it showed up on your list, but it's incredibly intriguing.

Actually, very few comedies made the list, so they have to be good to get on there. At the end of the day, comedies are funny, but rarely so great they'd make a top 50...

9:57 PM  
Blogger steven said...

and then there is "dramedy" -
the fusion of drama and comedy which seems to propel many films into greatness...

horror and comedy often gel well, but i can't figure out how to blend the two words as nicely...

comedor? hormedy? eh.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

comedor I kinda like personally. We've been watching a show called "Hustle" which you would probably like and it's labelled as a 'dramedy.' It's probably our favorite show right now.

And I hope I'm not giving too much away by saying that you could see one or two of those genre splices in the top 30...

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home