Friday, April 29, 2005

Destination Confirmed!

Since most other blogs are referring to Mike D lately, I guess I will as well. Mike is the one responsible for me writing this at noon instead of at like 4 when I was originally planning on writing it. But anyways, here we are...

You may (or may not) have been wondering what my plans were for once I finish up my classwork here at the end of the summer. Well, I have been throwing around a notion for a long time now of spending a few months in the U.K. I received an opportunity via e-mail from a soccer club in the U.K. to work as an intern in their marketing department (the internship would give me the last remaining credits I need to get my degree from here). The day I received that email was one of the better on record and throughout the past few weeks they have been very helpful in getting back to me whenever I have had questions. The question became: do I take on such an expensive foreign venture or do I just stay back in the Midwest and hope that something opens up somewhere?

As you can assume, I have decided to take on the expensive foreign venture. So with that out of the way, I'll try to fill you in on some of the more interesting aspects. I will be leaving for the UK literally immediately after D's wedding; I may even have to go straight to the airport! I will be working for a team called Southend United, a small English club whose ground (Roots Hall) seats somewhere between 10-12,000, though they probably average somewhere around 7,000. The city itself is called Southend-on-Sea and is located in the county Essex (Southend is about 50 miles east of London). It is exactly as the name describes as the city of about 120,000 is situated directly along the coast of the North Sea. The city also boasts the one of the longest piers anywhere, a 1.2 mile-long boardwalk with a shopping mall feel. My parents and Michelle are planning on accompanying me over to find a place to live and maybe spend a day touring, but then they will be forced to return stateside. Lucy will be living with my parents while I'm gone.

One of the things I'm most excited about is that I've been told by my team that I'll be able to travel with them to the away games all over England. This means that at little or no cost I'll be able to see many of the large and small cities of England (Southend will play at least 23 away games next year, although I may not be there for all of them).

Truly, I'm very excited about the opportunity to immerse myself in a culture that I've always been very fascinated with. If any of you are interested, I will have a web cam in case anybody wishes to talk.

I hope that helps to paint a clearer picture as to what exactly I'm up to later this year! If you have any more questions, please feel free to leave them in the Comments.

And, of course, guests would CERTAINLY be very much welcomed.

9 Comments:

Blogger JZ said...

how long will you be gone?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Great question, and I can't believe I forgot to include that! My internship is supposed to last for six months, so I would presumably be home around the first of March 2006.

12:49 PM  
Blogger JZ said...

Well no promises but I’d like to visit

12:53 PM  
Blogger steven said...

jeez.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Steve, care to elaborate?

10:48 PM  
Blogger steven said...

I was just thinking, that's pretty ballsy. Something I probably could never be able to do...

12:49 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

It's definitely always something I've wanted to do, have the chance to go there. I tossed around study abroad as well but it would have meant an extra semester. This way, though, I'm actually getting to combine soccer and England into one, making it an unbeatable combo!

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bueno Suerte


failor

3:51 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Muchas Gracias, senor.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home