Monday, May 09, 2005

"Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce..."

I have just returned to Bloomington after a very enjoyable weekend in Chicago, highlighted, of course, by a performance by U2 on Saturday night. This was my first time at Chicago's United Center (home of the Bulls and the Blackhawks), and it seemed to be a nice facility. The Southern rock band Kings of Leon opened the show. Unfortunately, they decided to have their guitars up so loud that I couldn't understand what they were saying at all. I have to admit I didn't really care for their set much.

Then, after about a 35 minute set change, the recent Hall inductees took the stage, one at a time, carrying flashlights and walking the oval-shaped pathway that was the stage. Of course, the Edge and Adam Clayton both had transmitters on their instruments that allowed them to traverse the walkway along with Bono, and that helped to keep them from being a static stage presence.

The show itself was incredible to say the least. I had predicted an intermission, but they rocked through more than 20 songs and two encores without stopping. The songs were seamlessly woven together, and spanned their entire catalog. Songs from their newest disc would be followed by one of their hits from the 80's, and then vice versa. To say that it was an amazing experience would be an understatement.

Set List:
Love and Peace
Vertigo
Elevation
Into the Heart
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Standstill
Bad
Pride (In The Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

Encore 1:
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

Encore 2:
All Because of You
Yahweh
40

6 Comments:

Blogger Failoz said...

Too bad we couldn't have traded opening acts for U2 ey brad?


I've heard the group you saw open was pretty decent.

I got stuck with who? Garbage. 'Nuff Said.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I would have killed to have Garbage open, in fact I commented on how I wish they were opening on this tour as well. I honestly didn't think that Kings of Leon struck me as a band you would enjoy, but I could be wrong. Let me know if you ever hear them and what you think.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Failoz said...

They couldnt be worse than Garbage, could they?


Yeah, I know about one tour before I saw them, the Stereophonics opened for them.


Sweet Sweet Irony.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

it would have been nice to have shuffled the opening acts some, but the fact of the matter remains that the reason I was there at all was for the second act, and they were amazing. I was just reading on their website that Coldplay and Gwyneth were in the house somewhere too...

8:25 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Sounds like you got your money's worth Mr. Nicholson. Hope you're having a good summer in B-town.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

he actually probably put on all of the tops that you have seen during the show, as he changed "costumes" several times, including a Russian-looking military uniform, complete with goose-stepping.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home