Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Canyon Comes Between...

I apologize for the long pause between posts, things here are busy as ever.

Both seasons are now underway, with the Timbers getting going last weekend. It was great to finally have soccer back in my life after a five-month drought. I was starting to wonder if the soccer season would ever get underway, but it has and I feel much better. The Timbers are improving every game, going from a loss in their first game of the season to a draw in the second to a win in the third. The atmosphere for the Timbers has the same feel as British soccer, so I'm very happy about that. And Timber Jim keeps the crowd going all the time; you really gotta see him to believe him.

In other soccer news, Southend won the league and with it, promotion to the second tier of English soccer. That means next season they will only be one step below Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea. I can't help but feel so proud to have been part of such a great and successful organization, on and off the pitch. I just hope it's the first of many such organizations that I work for. Southend had very comprehensive coverage of their final game of the season at Roots Hall, with all of the celebrations afterwards. Last year, I remember getting choked up watching team captain Kevin Maher lift the trophy and then the lads going ballistic after they won promotion last year, but after spending time and knowing those guys personally, it was very emotional for me to see the same thing again, but this time see it occurring at a place I called home. I didn't cry, but wow, I definitely learned how massive of an imprint my time with the Shrimpers has left on me. I do indeed hope I haven't seen the last of them. Perhaps a summertime exhbition in Portland could be worked out?

The Beavers and Timbers programs have now been printed and I'm especially proud of the Timbers program, since it was really under my control. It's such a great feeling of accomplishment to see something that you've spent so many hours on being sold at the program stand and read by fans before the game gets underway. The little response that I've gotten so far has been very positive, so that's of course encouraging.

I have one more major project to get off my plate, and that is the Timbers Media Guide (complete with artwork from Steve Cavins!). Hopefully once I get that done, I can focus on what I really wanted to do here: develop web content for the Timbers. My vision here was to be providing new content on a daily basis for the site, like player interviews, feature stories, manager's comments and match previews/reports. I haven't gotten off to a very good start but I feel like so much of my time is being pulled in other directions, so I'm just going to need to re-adjust my time management I suppose.

Briefly, in music, I've really gotten into this new band called Rock Kills Kid, whose debut album comes out on May 16. I think it's safe to say that if you're a fan of the new new wave type music, like The Killers and The Bravery, that you'd probably like this band. I've only heard four songs of theirs so far but have really enjoyed all of them. For those that didn't know, Napster is quasi-free now (you can listen to any song free five times, then you have to pay), so I have listened to entire albums on there and the four songs of Rock Kills Kid they have are definitely worth at least a free listen. Just something to keep in mind if that genre is your style.

Well, I should get to bed but I wanted to give you all an idea of what types of things I've been working on out here, and why I haven't been a better communicator. Hope all is well wherever you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home