Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My All-Time Favorite Films: #50-41

#50: This is Spinal Tap (1984)
This is Spinal Tap is a spear into all of the hair metal bands of the 80's. I didn't grow up during the hair metal era, but the documentary feel of the movie helps people like me to believe that these band members could have really said things like "This one goes to 11!"

#49: Bend it Like Beckham (2002)
Of course I had to have a soccer movie on my list, and Bend it Like Beckham makes it on here at #49. It's surprisingly funny, moving and engaging and this film's ability to catch me off-guard like that is part of why it got on. Oh, and Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley are hot.

#48: The Beach (2000)
The first time I saw The Beach, I didn't think it was that great. But I've seen it a few more times since then, and it's grown on me every time, working it's way onto this list. The actual beach sets are some of the most breathtaking I have ever seen.

#47: No Man's Land (2001)
This 2002 Best Foreign Film Oscar winner was one of the surprises of my college war film course. Set against the Bosnia crisis, a Bosnian and a Serb are caught in a trench in no-man's land, and the result is both hilarious and horrifying.

#46: Mallrats (1995)
Although I didn't see it until about four years after it came out, I think this movie rang as so funny because I felt it relatively closely resembled my own experiences. I can easily hear people I know yelling "I LOVE the smell of commerce in the morning!"

#45: Batman Begins (2005)
I've been a fan of the Batman superhero through the old TV show and the more recent animated TV show, but never the movies. This movie seemed to really put a more human touch on the character, beyond the "BAM"s and "POW"s of the comic books.

#44: Ocean's Eleven (2001)
I'm not quite sure what this film's genre is, but the best way to put it is a 'caper' film. There's an intricate crime to pull off, and a loveable cast of characters who make it work with wit and wisdom, as the details of the crime unfold in front of you. Truly enjoyable.

#43: Fast and the Furious (2001)
A delightful popcorn flick that I've seen way too many times. I know the acting's terrible and the plot's full of holes, but I honestly do love looking at the fast cars and the fast women, regardless of how shoddy everything around them are.

#42: Matchstick Men (2003)
Matchstick Men is sort of another 'caper' style movie for me, although the main character, played by Nicolas Cage, is a much more flawed, humanized 'criminal'. Cage is helped by great acting from Sam Rockwell as his con partner.

#41: Borat (2006)
I've been a huge fan of Borat Sagdiyev since I first caught season one of Da Ali G Show a year or so ago. Giving Sasha Baron Cohen 80+ minutes with this character all across the country is absolute comedic gold. I laughed to tears on several occasions, not that I'm proud of it!

I'll try to continue posting the higher ranking movies, but can't promise any sort of defined time period as it really depends on how much free time I get. But please comment on everything so far; I'm always open to discussion!

5 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

nice list so far, keep em coming!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I've got the entire list done, it's just a matter of posting them. Don't you hate every one of those movies though?

12:08 AM  
Blogger steven said...

um, no i like all of these except for fast & the furious. most of these gets at least 4 netflix stars from me...

1:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I really need to see Bend it Like Beckham.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

yeah, looking at it again, you recommended at least one or two of them to me. Not surprised about "Fast and the Furious", I know your well-documented hatred on that one, but guess I was surprised that you would rate movies like "Borat" and "Ocean's Eleven" that high...

Mac, I was really reluctant to see "Bend it like Beckham," but it turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting. Mainly for the reasons that I listed in the description: funny, soccer, hotties (not necessarily in that order).

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home