Monday, September 25, 2006

You've got me spendin'...

spendin' all my time on ya.

Every now and then I like to sit down and my computer and watch music videos for a bit. Sometimes I pick up a new song that I haven't heard before and I end up really enjoying it ("King Without a Crown" is a recent example), or sometimes I just find some interesting or nostalgic videos. So, with that, I thought I'd share my thoughts from tonight's viewing.

Well, the title of this post should give away my primary thoughts. They are, of course, 'lyrics' to "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas, the video for which came on very early in the evening. I try not to skip unless it's rap, so I stuck with it, and it was very funny. Besides the fact that the entire premise of the song is laughable (lovely lady lumps?), the video is too. I mean, first of all, I have to laugh that the song was or is popular, or maybe that means I'm way off track with pop culture. But then the video. Oh man, I think I was streaming tears down my face when I saw the girl dancing in front of the vehicle, but then I realized the vehicle was a Chevy S-10 or something. A pickup truck! Oh man, they're really singing popular music to a new low. A song about butts sung while Fergie gyrates in front of a mid-range pickup truck. Be sure to check out their next hit "Feet Go Stomp" sung in front of a Kia Sedona.

Of course the irony was then compounded because immediately after "My Humps" came one of my favorite videos right now, "Is It Any Wonder?" by Keane. I love the song to begin with, but I also really like the idea of the video, which is esentially a camera mounted on a mini rollercoaster-like track that has the band intertangled in it. So the camera is going up, down, round and round while it occasionally passes the band members performing the song. It's a pretty simple video, shot in a warehouse with the band's equipment cases in full view, but for some reason it's a very captivating video. It's definitely one of those videos that I watch and think "If I were in a band, I'd want to be in that video or do one like it."

Finally, winner of the weirdest video of the night goes to a group called Sleepthief, who I've never heard of before, and their song "Eurydice". The song I can only describe as Enya on death, so kinda sad. Then the video is a couple people prancing about in the woods, some of them wearing masks made of bark, while they're weaving things with red ribbon between the trees. It's trippy, so I'd recommend checking it out, but ideally after a moderate dose of LSD or angel dust.

These music videos are all free to watch by signing on to Yahoo! and going to the music section. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts if they've seen any of these or if anyone has a recommendation of other cool videos to check out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

thanks. Have you seen OK Go's "A Million Ways"? I like that one too.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

very well done D, those are quality.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home