Sunday, November 20, 2005

On the Banks of the River Trent...


A photo taken Saturday of Nottingham Forest's stadium, the City Ground


Well, amazingly, another two weeks has passed already. Today marks only one month until Michelle arrives here in England to kick off my two weeks as a tourist, which I am very much looking forward to. I have mentioned previously that we will be heading up to Edinburgh for a few days to see the 'homeland' and see the battle site of Bannockburn, where 'gramps' Robert the Bruce defeated the English in the quest for Scottish freedom, which they won.

That also means that I'm down to only four weeks left in the office here, so I am also now into the job search. I've already applied to a few different places, most of them small college athletic departments, but am open to pretty much anywhere and any sport environment. The work experience here has been extremely interesting, and I'm very glad that this is something that I actually followed through on, even though it meant leaving everything behind (including Lucy, who I miss very much!).

I travelled with the Southend supporters to see the Blues play Nottingham Forest yesterday, hence the photo above. That was the one I was really looking forward to when I got here because Forest were up in the Premier League just a few years ago and they have a stadium that seats about 30,000 compared to Southend's which is around 11,000, so massive. It was a great experience, although temps hovered around freezing and the Blues lost 2-0, but they're still in 3rd place overall, so doing very well!

I'm disappointed that I won't be home for Thanksgiving this year. Thursday will be just another work day for me here, no good food or good company, but I guess that's part of the cultural experience. Maybe I'll try and get a turkey sub for lunch. Until next time...

8 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

I've been keeping in touch with Ed, and he's going to be letting me know if anything opens up there. Good shout though, that'd be a pretty sweet gig.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Failoz said...

Trent.......as in Gary Trent?

12:46 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

... as in the man that Tone dunked over??

that one??

...no.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Brad, I was listening to Braveheart music all last weekend and I just watched some of the movie Sunday night.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

excellent soundtrack by the way; I have it as well. I'll have to be pumping it through the ol' headphones when I'm on that train north!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Especially the end of track 17, which corresponds to when Robert the Bruce rallies the troops at Bannockburn at the very end of the movie.

Btw, Brad, are you excited about this news?

3:32 PM  
Blogger steven said...

happy thanksgiving bradley.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone that actually gets to celebrate it!

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home