Thursday, May 18, 2006

Y? Because it's good...



I know I've mentioned it before, but I feel as though it bears repeating. The graphic novel series "Y: The Last Man" is a thoroughly enjoyable read. And I came across it by accident.

I was just interested in trying out a few graphic novels back at IU since I hadn't really seen or read any before. I looked at the local Border's in Bloomington, but their selection was thin and over-priced (yes, I know, I am talking about Border's). I came across "Y" while browsing on Amazon and decided to give it a try. After all, reader reviews can't be wrong!

Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed the series. The plot is pretty simple, every male on the planet (animals and humans) dies suddenly except for one guy and his monkey. Nobody knows why, but I think that the depictions of the women are fairly accurate as far as depicting how women would react if that did indeed happen, but you'll have to read it to find out exactly what I mean.

The other thing that is a bit surprising and also enjoyable is that it is written for adults. There's profanity, graphic violence and partial nudity, but those aren't the reasons I enjoy it. I think it's good because it was written so that I, as a mature adult could enjoy it, not so kids and adults can enjoy it. There's no people flying around in tights and capes, just people reacting probably pretty similiarly to how they would act if this scenario ever did happen: with sentences containing 'f-bombs'.

I've just finished the sixth volume tonight, and I believe there is one more still out there that I haven't read yet. The exciting part is that it is still being made; Volume 7 just came out May 1.

So yeah, I'm still an immature little kid who likes reading comic books, but I'm enjoying the fact that at least that little kid can be following big-kid plotlines.

9 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

well, i read the "walking dead" series, about the apocalypse + zombies, which is pretty good. but i'm just a nerd for the apocalypse i guess.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

what's the animation like?

I still am picky and I only like graphic novels that are thoroughly detailed in the art department, hence I'm not a Neil Gaiman fan.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten that you asked to borrow my volumes of "Y". I'll get them to you in July.

11:45 AM  
Blogger steven said...

the first book is very well drawn and shaded. then i noticed they degenerated a bit into usual comic look when they used a different artist.

but the first book is prolly the best anyway, so its worth looking at if nothing else.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

yeah, I think I'll look it up. How many volumes are there so far?

1:11 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Did I ever let you borrow Alex Ross' Marvels or Uncle Sam? I haven't read too many graphic novels, and they've mostly been superhero or Star Wars based--nothing too spectacular in the end. Those above two by Ross though were pretty good, especially the first one.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

p.s. I enjoyed your five-minute radio spot yesterday. You and that host really kept throwing jabs at each other...but in a good, lighthearted way.

2:25 PM  
Blogger steven said...

radio spot?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Steve (and whomever else is interested),

Go to World Talk Radio online, more precisely the "Inside Soccer" program. Then click on Segment 20 from the 2006-05-20 show. (Or just click on my direct link to Segment 20.) Listen then from approximately 3:00 to 8:00 minutes. (Brad, I'll let you fill in whatever other details are necessary.)

And while I'm sharing media links to friends on the web, you may also want to search for our recent Masters graduate and Junction party-man in this video here.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Chris,

Thanks! I'm glad you were able to tune in! Obviously I've got a rapport with Brian Halliday, he calls me at work every once and awhile just to chat soccer, and he happened to call Saturday afternoon and ask me if I wanted to be on his show later in the afternoon. I was on once back in March, so I had no problem with it. But glad you could get it and thanks for posting the link for everyone. I'll check out those graphic novels too!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home